Scholarships to International Young Surgeons in USA, 2017-2018
The American College of SurgeonsÂ is offering international scholarshipsÂ to young surgeons from countries other than the United States or Canada.Â Scholarships are available to visit clinical, teaching, and research activities in the U.S. and Canada and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
The American College of Surgeons aims to assist international students to build a growing network of community leaders throughout the world.
This scholarship endowment was originally provided through the legacy left to the College by Paul R. Hawley, MD (FACS Hon), former College Director. More recently, gifts from the family of Abdol Islami, MD (FACS), the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and others to the International Guest Scholarship endowment have enabled the College to expand the number of scholarship awards.
Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
Course Level:Â Scholarships are available to visit clinical, teaching, and research activities in the U.S. and Canada and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
Study Subject(s):Â Scholarships are awardedÂ in the field of medicine.
Scholarship Award: The scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the Collegeâ€™s annual Clinical Congress held in Boston, MA, in October 2018, with public recognition of their presence. They will receive gratis admission to selected postgraduate courses plus admission to all lectures, demonstrations, and exhibits, which are an integral part of the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided in arranging visits, following the Clinical Congress, to various clinics and universities of their choice. In order to qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
Scholarship can be taken in theÂ USA
Eligibility: Requirements are-
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be at least 35 years old, but under 50, on the date that the completed application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicantâ€™s country.
- Early careerists are deemed more suitable than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide a list of all of their publications and must submit, in addition, three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choice from that list.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold an academic appointment or a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chairâ€™s or the Fellowâ€™s letter is to include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the person making the recommendation.
- The online application form is structured to assist the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and assists the applicant in submitting a structured curriculum vitae.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships will provide a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
Nationality:Â International applicantsÂ (other than the United States or Canada) can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements:Â Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of applying isÂ online.
Application Deadline:Â TheÂ application deadline isÂ July 3, 2017.