[cont] => tle”>Physical Geography Student Photo Competition in UK, 2016
Following the success of the previous photo competitions by the Physical Geography Special Interest Group, the Physical Geography Photo Competition returns.
The theme for this yearâ€™s competition is â€˜Earth inquiry: exploring physical geographyâ€™.
- to promote studentsâ€™ observation and awareness of physical geography in their environment
- to apply young peopleâ€™s knowledge of physical geography using an informal context
- to inspire young people to observe and interact with physical geography through imagery
- for young people to recognize that photography is an exciting and interesting way of capturing and interpreting physical geography.
In support of the Year of Fieldwork this yearâ€™s competition theme, â€˜Earth Enquiry: exploring physical geographyâ€™, encourages exploration of physical features or landscapes by asking focused questions. This provides an ideal opportunity for your students to go out and explore their surroundings during fieldwork or in their own time.
How to enter: Students submit a photo of a physical feature or landscape, which could be an expansive view or something at a much smaller scale, alongside a (maximum of 250 words) description that includes an interesting inquiry question and a suggestion for investigating the physical geography in the photo. The competition entry deadline is Friday 23 September 2016.
The competition website includes advice and suggestions for discovering examples of physical geography plus tips for creating a good entry. Each entry will be judged on both the quality of the photograph and the description of the physical geography it contains.
We encourage your students to enter as taking part will broaden their geographical understanding.
There are two entry categories:
1. Ages 11â€“14 (KS3), 2. Ages 14â€“18 (KS4â€“5)
Prizes are courtesy of outdoor clothing company PÃ¡ramo Directional Clothing Systems.
- 1st prize = Fuera Ascent Windproof Jacket
- 2nd prize = Fuera Smock
- 3rd prize = PÃ¡ramo Travel Towel
All winners and entries judged as Highly Commended will receive a copy of Longmanâ€™s Student Atlas from the Geographical Association and a certificate.
Prize-winning photographs will feature on the Geographical Association website.
Download the competition poster below to display and hand out to students.