The primary aim of the PhD position is to analyse metagenome data from Copenhagen sewage both bioinformatically and with epidemiological explanatory variables.
Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is recognized internationally as a leading university in the areas of the technical and the natural sciences, renowned for business-oriented approach, focus on sustainability, and amazing study environment.
The candidate should have a very good command over the English language.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in Microbiome, Antimicrobial Resistance and Surveillance.
Scholarship Award: The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
Scholarship can be taken in Denmark
- The ideal candidate has a background in one or more of the following areas: Microbiology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, epidemiology and/or microbial ecology. Preferably, the candidate has experience with bioinformatics, statistical methods and epidemiology.
- The ideal candidate is ambitious and has a strong drive for obtaining high-quality results, and is interested in working in an international research environment.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and be able to plan and carry out complex tasks, while also being well integrated into a large and dynamic research group.
- Candidates should have a master’s degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master’s degree in engineering.
- Special emphasis will be put on:
-Experience with microbiology, epidemiology and bioinformatics
-Experience with and ability to work with complex data
-Ability to work in a collaboration with researchers from different disciplines
-Ability to work under open science conditions
- The candidate should also have a strong interest in health surveillance, metagenomics, and combining microbiology and genomics with bioinformatics and epidemiology.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this PhD scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Candidates should have a master’s degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master’s degree in engineering.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: The candidate should have a very good command over the English language.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (an official translation into English)
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
- Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 14 September 2016.